More than 290,000 people are living with spinal cord injuries in America, according to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCSC). Unfortunately, this number continues to increase, with approximately 18,000 new cases each year. Many of these injuries are the result of motor vehicle accidents.
A spinal cord injury can significantly change your life. It can affect you physically as well as mentally. If someone’s negligence caused your spinal cord injury in Austin, TX, a spinal cord injury lawyer at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help. Our attorney can investigate what happened, determine who’s liable, and hold them accountable via an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
How Is a Spinal Cord Injury Defined?
The term spinal cord injury (SCI) refers to damage to the cells and nerves of the spinal cord responsible for communication between the brain and the rest of the body. According to Mayo Clinic, a spinal cord injury can include damage to:
- The spinal cord
- The nerves at the end of the spinal canal
- The bones or tissue surrounding the spinal cord
The effects of the damage are usually felt below the injury site. It can disrupt:
- Body functions
Diagnosis will include checks for any spinal cord abnormalities. These tests may include X-rays, a CT scan, or an MRI. These allow your doctor to identify the exact location of the injury.
Why Should You Work with a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Austin
If you or a loved one suffered a spinal cord injury due to someone else’s negligent or reckless actions, you may be reading this from a hospital bed. You may be in pain and facing months or years of rehabilitation. Your entire life seems like it has turned upside down.
When you work with a spinal cord injury lawyer in Austin, they will handle all aspects of your case while you focus on your recovery. Here are just some examples of what our law firm will do for you:
We Do the Research
The seriousness of your injury might have you feeling overwhelmed. It’s important to reach out to an attorney as soon as you are able while the details of the accident are still fresh in your mind.
This will help our team as we research exactly what happened. We will determine:
- The injury date
- The time of the incident
- The parties involved
- The source/cause of negligence
Researching every aspect of your case may take some time. It’s essential we start the work as soon as possible after your injury.
We’ll Uncover Any Negligence
Our research is extensive and will help us to uncover the cause of your accident-related injuries. This includes:
- Gathering evidence (e.g., the police report, your medical records, any photos or surveillance video of your injuries and/or the accident scene)
- Interviewing witnesses
- Keeping track of all documents (e.g., medical bills, receipts, etc.)
- Hiring accident reconstruction specialists
- Filing all paperwork on time with the proper court
Texas law sets a limit on the time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. You typically have two years from the date of the injury to file in civil court. The statute of limitations may vary based on the circumstances of your case. A lawyer familiar with the laws and statutes in Texas can ensure your case meets the statutory deadline.
We Can Negotiate on Your Behalf
Our attorney will handle all communications with the other party’s lawyers and the insurance company. Right now, you should focus on healing and getting better. You should not have the added stress of dealing with insurance companies.
If the insurance company asks you for a recorded statement, it is best to refer them to your lawyer. Insurers may use tactics to get you to admit fault and reduce your financial recovery. Your lawyer will negotiate for a settlement amount that will cover your full damages. If the insurance company refuses to settle, our firm is prepared to take your case to trial.
What Our Past Clients Say About Us
We care about our clients and have worked passionately to advocate for them. Our attorneys have obtained millions of dollars in settlements and court awards for our past clients. Here are just some examples of what they have to say about our firm:
- “Great firm and they follow up on everything and they make sure you are comfortable and that everything is correct with your claim I would highly recommend.” – Kiana Skyy
- “I highly recommend them because they are very professional and non judgemental. Made me feel extremely comfortable talking with them.” – Paulie Deluca
- “Very attentive and helpful law firm. Quick to answer your questions and explain tough legal language and made a negative time of my life have a positive outcome and brighter future.” – Daniel Lieberg
We work just as hard for each and every client. Our team will listen to the details of what happened to you, collect evidence to support your case, and fight for a fair settlement in or out of the courtroom. We do all this while you get the care and medical support you need.
Call Our Team Today for a Free Case Evaluation
Placing your trust in someone can be difficult after a spinal cord injury someone else caused. You need to focus on your recovery right now.
If you suffered a spinal cord injury in Austin, Texas, the team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can analyze your case and fight for full and fair financial recovery on your behalf. Contact us today for the peace of mind you need during this difficult time. The consultation is always free for injury victims and there is no obligation. The time to seek justice from the responsible party is now.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do I Know If I Am a Victim in the Sexual Abuse Case at UCLA?
- What Happens If You Get In An Accident In An Uber In Texas?
- Am I Allowed To Sue if I Was a Passenger in a Car Accident in Texas?
- How Much Should You Expect in a Commercial Uber Accident Settlement In Texas?
- Wrongful Death Lawyer Serving Austin