Truck accidents can have severe consequences. On average, trucks, which include semi-trucks and 18-wheelers, weigh considerably more than the average car. This added heft means they can leave a path of destruction if they spin out on the Texas freeways. Truck accident victims often experience serious injuries, like fractured bones or a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Fortunately, victims of truck accidents have legal recourse. If you believe another party’s negligence caused your Dallas truck accident, you could pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit. You can hire an attorney to represent you throughout this process. A Dallas truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® can build your case.
What Kinds of Damages Can I Recover After a Dallas Truck Accident?
Damages are an essential part of truck accident cases. They categorize the types of losses — divvied into economic and non-economic damages — that can be factored into your financial recovery.
Roadway accidents aren’t cheap. The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that the average car accident costs $29,200. Economic damages can offset these expenses. They include:
- Medical costs
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damages
Truck accidents don’t just hurt your wallet, though. These accidents can cause an enormous amount of emotional pain and trauma. Your financial recovery can take these damages into account, too, via non-economic damages.
What If I Lost a Loved One to a Truck Accident in Dallas?
Truck accidents can also cause wrongful death. Our lawyers serving Dallas have supported clients who have lost a special person. We know what you’re going through and can shoulder part of the burden as you navigate your case. Cases involving wrongful death have a unique set of damages, including:
- Burial expenses
- Funeral costs
- Loss of consortium – legal terminology for the loss of companionship, affection, and love
- Surviving children
- Surviving parents
- A surviving spouse
In some cases, an executor of the decedent’s will may also be able to pursue a Dallas truck accident case. If you’re unsure of your eligibility for a wrongful death case, our team can explain your options. No one should have to deal with the loss of a loved one alone.
Do I Have to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer to Handle My Dallas Accident?
No, Texas law does not require claimants to hire a truck accident lawyer. However, it’s important to know that these cases are often complex. They have several moving parts and require legal know-how. We can put our team of lawyers to work for you by providing a range of legal services:
Identifying a liable party is essential to truck accident cases. Ultimately, your goal is to pursue the at-fault party for damages. We can assist throughout this process. We’ll first gather relevant evidence, which can include:
- The truck’s onboard recording software
- Traffic camera footage of the accident
- Images of the accident scene
- Your medical records
- Witness interviews
- Expert insight
Then, we work toward establishing the four elements of negligence, including the following:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care.
- They breached this duty of care.
- Their breach caused your accident.
- You or a loved one suffered compensatory damages as a result.
Dealing With Insurers After a Truck Accident
Lawsuits, while popular in the media, don’t frequently occur in the wake of truck accidents. This is because truckers and other drivers on the roadway typically carry motorist insurance, which can be used to cover your damages.
To secure an insurance claim, though, you’ll need to deal with insurers. This can be a fraught process. The at-fault party’s insurer may encourage you to admit fault or offer you a lowball settlement. Taking these steps could help you avoid jeopardizing the value of your claim during insurance negotiations:
- Don’t provide insurers with a recorded statement unless you have no other options.
- Be careful about sharing information about your accident with anyone outside of your attorney.
- Be wary of quick settlement offers. Insurers often use these to end their talks with claimants as soon as possible.
Remember, our Dallas truck accident lawyers can act as your representative through the insurance negotiation process. We know what to expect when dealing with insurers and can communicate with insurers on your behalf. We’ll push for the best settlement offer possible. If your case necessitates a lawsuit, we’re prepared to go there, too.
Providing Compassionate Care
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, we care about results. Our primary goal is to get you paid. However, achieving desirable legal results doesn’t need to be a painful process. We’ll be firm with insurers, but we’ll treat you with kindness. We support clients through their truck accident cases by:
- Answering their questions clearly and not in complicated legalese
- Responding to their phone calls 24/7
- Assisting them with their doctor’s appointments, regardless of their health insurance coverage
- Meeting them wherever is most convenient – the hospital, our offices, or their homes
This approach has produced many satisfied clients, as their testimonials show:
- “I have been represented by D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® for almost a year and I have nothing but positive things to say. The people there are always friendly and do their best to answer any questions to the best of their ability. I would strongly recommend this firm for any of your personal injury or any other claims you may have.” – Wayne P.
- “The staff here are genuinely concerned about what is going on in our lives. They have walked me through every step and I sincerely appreciate their helpfulness.” – Shelley B.
Who Can Be Held Liable After a Dallas Truck Accident?
The legal precedent of vicarious liability under Texas law – employers can be held liable for the actions of their employees – expands the pool of potentially liable parties after a truck accident. Some examples include:
- A trucker
- A trucking company
- A truck parts or vehicle manufacturer
- A cargo loading company
- Another driver on the roadway
This variability in liable parties can cause confusion. It’s not uncommon to wonder who’s at fault, even if it appears obvious at first. As noted earlier, we’ll help you with this part of the process by investigating the facts of your case.
Dallas Truck Accident Victims Can Seek Legal Representation
You don’t have to pick up the pieces of a truck accident without professional legal help. Truck accident victims can receive legal counsel and representation. Our team can step in to give you breathing room so can spend your energy on the recovery process.
Texas law provides a two-year deadline for those hoping to pursue a truck accident injury or wrongful death lawsuit. Call our offices for a free, no-obligation case evaluation today.