Bicycle accidents with passenger cars or other larger vehicles can cause catastrophic and expensive injuries. A bicycle accident lawyer serving El Paso can protect your rights and help you pursue financial recovery. However, medical attention comes first. If you have not seen a doctor or other healthcare provider yet, please do so at once.
Our lawyers may be able to help you recover damages for your medical bills and other losses. A bicycle accident can disrupt your entire life, and we are here to help as your legal advocate.
For a free case evaluation with a member of our team, call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today at (713) 850-8600.
How a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Seeks Damages on Your Behalf
One of the many benefits of hiring a bicycle accident lawyer is that they can objectively assess your injuries and damages. In our experience, many personal injury victims do not realize the extent of their injuries and how this can affect their lives for months or even years.
That is why a bicycle accident lawyer serving El Paso will carefully assess your damages from an accident that was not your fault.
We will also:
- Obtain documentation from police and accident reports, witness statements, accident photos or videos, the defendant’s driving history, any drug or alcohol tests, and other evidence.
- Get a full medical review of your accident injuries and prognosis, including when (or if) you may resume working and daily activities.
- Assess your damages from both economic and emotional losses.
- Identify and communicate with the insurance adjuster or the defendant’s lawyer on your behalf.
- Take your case to trial if negotiations do not result in a fair settlement.
A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will do everything in their power to achieve a favorable outcome on your behalf and get you the compensation you deserve.
How To Make a Case for Liability and Negligence
Once we have obtained all the facts and involved parties in your case, we can show how the other party is liable.
There are four basic elements in any personal injury claim:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care to take reasonable measures that would prevent you from getting hurt, such as obeying the speed limit or yielding when appropriate.
- The defendant breached this duty of care in some manner, for example, by looking down at a cell phone instead of at the roadway (distracted driving).
- This negligent action caused the accident and your injuries.
- You have damages in the form of medical expenses, property damage, and other losses.
The burden of proof is on you, the plaintiff, and a lawyer can help you assign liability. A bicycle accident lawyer from our firm wants to help you and your family get the answers you deserve.
Consulting with a Lawyer Before the Insurance Adjuster
Our bicycle accident lawyers are familiar with the insurance claims process. We can get everything together and file a claim with the defendant’s insurance company. However, some insurance companies try to delay, downplay, or deny legitimate claims.
That is why we strongly suggest that you do not talk to an insurance adjuster before you have the chance to speak with a member of our firm.
In our experience, accident victims who talk to the insurance adjuster may experience:
- Pressure to accept the first offer, even if it is a lowball offer and inadequate for your injuries and damages.
- Frustration for a slow or delayed response when medical expenses are piling up.
- Stress or emotional duress that can impede their recovery from injuries.
You could also jeopardize your claim with an innocent remark or inconsistency that may be caused by your injuries or medication.
You are encouraged to contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, and allow us to pursue recovery while you recuperate from your injuries.
We Help You Recover Damages
Bicycling is a great way to stay fit. Some people bike to work as an environmentally friendly and cost-effective alternative to driving.
However, bicycles offer little protection for riders. Bicycle riders are more likely to suffer severe injuries or lose their life than motorists in accidents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
A bicycle accident lawyer serving El Paso will pursue damages for your physical and emotional injuries, including medical expenses such as:
- Ambulance costs
- Urgent or emergency care costs
- Surgery expenses
- Cost of hospitalization
- Prescription drugs
Other damages in a personal injury case might include financial recovery for expenses like:
- Lost pay while you are recuperating from your injuries
- Diminished earning ability if you are temporarily or permanently disabled
- Loss of consortium or companionship
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Funeral and burial costs in wrongful death cases
- Property damage including bicycle repair, replacement, and alternative transportation costs
Our legal team will do all we can for the best possible outcome.
Going to Trial to Recover Damages
One of the first questions that many new clients ask is whether they will need to go to trial to recover damages from the liable party.
A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can often negotiate an acceptable settlement without the cost or stress of going to trial. However, we are trial lawyers who will not hesitate to take legal action if necessary.
You have a limited time for legal action. Texas law allows only two years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit. If you miss this deadline, your complaint will be dismissed.
When Most Bicycle Accidents Happen
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), most bicycle accidents happen:
- On urban roads
- In the late afternoon and early evening
- At non-intersection areas
Interestingly, accidents occurred in about equal measure between day and night.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation
A bicycle accident lawyer serving El Paso can help you pursue recovery for an accident that was not your fault. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for a free case evaluation with a member of our team at (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Happens If You Get In An Accident In An Uber In Texas?
- What Should You Do If Your Uber Or Lyft Driver Gets In An Accident In Texas?
- What Are The Effects Of Traumatic Brain Injury On Your Financial Situation?
- How Do I Get a Police Report for a Car Accident In Houston?
- What Is the Average Time to Settle a Personal Injury Case in Texas?