If you were in a truck accident, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you seek financial recovery. Our attorneys serving Galveston can pursue awards for your medical care, vehicle damages, and other accident-related losses. We can also assist with seeking damages on behalf of a deceased loved one.
Responsible Parties Should Pay for Losses Related to the Accident They Caused
Commercial trucks are taller, larger, and heavier than passenger vehicles. This means that passenger vehicle occupants are more likely to suffer physical harm or fatal injuries during an accident. Out of 4,119 truck accident fatalities in 2019, 67 percent were passenger vehicle occupants, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident caused by another party’s negligence, our attorneys can help you recover your losses. You can pursue:
- Economic damages – We can help you recover out-of-pocket expenses resulting from your accident. This includes the cost of past and future medical treatment, rehabilitation services, medical devices, your lost wages, the value of your lost household services, and vehicle repair or replacement costs. If you suffered an injury that leaves you unable to work, we can help you pursue awards for your loss of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages – A serious injury can result in a permanent disability, chronic pain, depression, sleeplessness, and other complications that can reduce your overall quality of life. Non-economic damages offer awards for these and other conditions that cause physical pain and emotional and mental suffering.
- Wrongful death damages – If your loved suffered a fatal injury, you can seek financial recovery on their behalf. This includes awards for their economic and non-economic damages, as well as awards for your loss of companionship and pain and suffering.
Truck Accident Liability Can Be Complex
There are several individuals and entities that could bear liability in a truck accident. It is important to prove negligence and seek damages from the appropriate party, which may include:
- The truck driver – Truck driver negligence could be the cause of your accident if the driver was breaking traffic laws, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or speeding. Truck drivers also must adhere to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Hours-of-Service Regulations. These regulations limit drive time hours, mandate breaks, and institute other precautions to prevent long-haul drivers from driving drowsy or falling asleep at the wheel.
- The trucking company – Fault may rest with the company that employs the truck driver. Examples of trucking company negligence may include failure to properly screen their drivers’ records or test for alcohol or drug use, failure to conduct proper vehicle maintenance, and failure to institute necessary safety precautions.
- The truck owner – Trucking companies do not always own the vehicles they use. The truck owner could be financially responsible for your accident if a vehicle problem or lack of vehicle maintenance led to your injuries.
- A truck or part manufacturer – If faulty equipment or a vehicle defect caused your accident, you may have a case against the manufacturer of the truck or its parts.
- The owner or loader of the truck’s cargo – Improperly loaded cargo can lead to shifting loads or even objects falling off the back of a truck. Cargo that is overloaded may also violate safe weight standards as set by the FMCSA.
Identifying the Cause of Your Accident and Pursuing an Insurance Claim
We will attempt to resolve your case with an insurance settlement. We will file a claim with all of the parties that are at fault in your case. We will handle communication with the insurance companies, which saves you time and energy and protects you from pressure from the insurers to settle for less than you may deserve.
We will use evidence, such as eyewitness accounts, accident reconstruction information, photographs, videos, and official police and accident reports, to show the truck driver, their employer, or someone else was negligent. We will also use your medical bills, vehicle repair receipts, and proof of your expenses to show you have suffered financial losses.
We will review your settlements and reject unsatisfactory offers. We will work tirelessly to negotiate an outcome that adequately covers your expenses, future care needs, and pain and suffering. If we cannot achieve a settlement in your favor, we can assist you with legal action.
Texas Allows Two Years to File Your Case in Civil Court
In general, Texas law allows two years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. Your window of time begins at the time of your accident or at the time of your loved one’s passing. Our attorneys can talk to you about circumstances that may extend or reduce the statute of limitations.
Texas Leads the Nation in Fatal Truck Accidents
According to the FMCSA, Texas led the nation in truck accident fatalities in both 2015 and 2016. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reported 251 commercial motor vehicle accidents in Galveston County in 2018.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a large truck accident in Galveston, our team can help you learn more about how we can help you seek justice.
Our Team Is Ready to Serve You
Miller & Associates, PLLC™ has served clients since 2002. We have seen first-hand the poor treatment accident victims often receive when dealing with insurance companies. We want to stand up for you and fight for the justice you deserve. We will:
- Help you schedule your doctor appointments, even if you do not have insurance
- Return phone calls and emails in a timely fashion
- Provide simple, straightforward answers to your questions without bogging you down in “legalese”
- Meet where it is convenient for you, whether that is our office, your home, or the hospital
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ Today
To get started on your case, call our offices at (713) 850-8600. We can give you a case evaluation and discuss more about how our attorneys serving Galveston can work for you.