It can happen in an instant. You are out for a walk. You reach an intersection you have crossed dozens of times. Pressing the button and seeing the “walk” signal light up, you make a quick glance in each direction, then proceed across the street.
Then, out of nowhere, a car speeds into the intersection. The next thing you know, you are on the ground, and medical personnel are treating you for injuries. Before you even receive a diagnosis, you already know you have a long road to recovery.
If someone else caused your pedestrian accident and injuries, you deserve compensation. However, many personal injury accident victims find that dealing with the at-fault party and their insurance company can amount to an exercise in frustration. Insurers have entire teams on staff whose sole function is to figure out how to reduce or deny accident victims’ claims. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Houston can help.
For many years, the accomplished legal team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, has been helping accident victims in Texas. We have extensive experience helping our clients win big settlements. We fight relentlessly for you, negotiating out of court for every dollar you deserve or even trying your claim in front of a jury.
We offer free consultations to accident victims. To schedule an appointment with one of our skilled lawyers, call us today at 713-850-8600.
Why Should I Hire a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
A lawyer can help protect your rights after an accident. Our attorneys understand how to build a strong case for compensation that will stand up to an insurance company’s tactics to reduce or deny your payout.
Shortly after your accident, the insurance company might contact you with a settlement offer. Do not take this offer. Ideally, you should not even speak to the insurance company without speaking to a lawyer first. Thousands or even millions of dollars could be at stake in your claim. By taking the first settlement the insurance company offers, you almost certainly leave some or most of that money on the table.
As your pedestrian accident attorneys, we build a thorough, compelling claim, seeking the maximum compensation you deserve. We assemble your claim by:
- Gathering police reports and other evidence from the scene;
- Interviewing witnesses;
- Reviewing photos and surveillance video;
- Speaking to expert witnesses;
- Reconstructing your accident;
- Examining your medical records; and
- Taking over negotiations with the insurance companies.
Our goal is to ensure that you receive a settlement that is both fair and robust. We will go after the maximum compensation available for you claim.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover With My Claim?
It is impossible to estimate with any degree of certainty what your claim is worth before we examine the details of your accident. Depending on several variables—such as the severity of your injuries and the degree of the at-fault party’s culpability—it could range from thousands to millions of dollars.
Accident victims who suffer more severe injuries are eligible for higher damages. If your accident left you with a traumatic brain injury, for instance, you would qualify for more compensation than you would with minor, temporary injuries.
Moreover, you might be eligible to recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include those to which we can assign specific dollar values.
Economic damages can include your medical bills, both current and future. We seek compensation for your hospital bills, doctor appointments, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and prescriptions.
If you miss work while recovering, we seek compensation for your lost income. Likewise, if your ability to earn a living decreases because of your injury, we seek the difference in what you are now able to earn versus what you could have earned had the accident not occurred.
Non-economic damages are more subjective. These damages include losses that do not have a specific dollar value, such as:
- Pain and suffering, which compensates you for the trauma your accident caused;
- Loss of consortium, which pays out to benefit your spouse or children for the loss of service and companionship they have suffered due to your injury;
- Punitive damages, which a judge can order if the at-fault party was demonstratively malicious or reckless in his or her actions; and
- Wrongful death, which compensates surviving family members of the victim of a fatal accident.
During the course of our investigation, we will calculate the total value of your economic and non-economic damages. Once we determine how much your accident has cost you—and will cost you in the future—we can begin the process of negotiating a fair settlement from the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Who Can I Hold Responsible for My Injuries?
The at-fault party in your case depends on the details of your accident. Often times, a negligent motorist is to blame. The most common ways we have seen drivers cause pedestrian accidents include:
- Failure to yield, if a vehicle struck you on the street when you had the right of way;
- Speeding in school zones, if an accident occurred when a driver ignored the posted speed limit;
- Parking lot accidents, which, due to their lack of control and oversight, are hotbeds for pedestrian accidents; and
- Public transportation, if a negligent public transit driver caused your injury while you were boarding or exiting a train, city bus, or other public vehicle.
There may also be other parties who share responsibility in your case. If a traffic light malfunctioned and caused your accident, the device manufacturer may be responsible, as well as the government department in charge of maintaining traffic devices. If your accident involved a commercial driver operating a work vehicle, the driver’s employer may also share liability for your damages.
Our attorneys will determine who was at fault for your accident. Once we know who caused your injuries, we will pursue compensation on your behalf.
Call Us at 713-850-8600 for a Free Consultation.
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, we have helped many victims win significant settlements after a pedestrian accident. We want to put our skills and resources to work for you. Call 713-850-8600 today for a free consultation with a Houston personal injury lawyer.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Sue for Lost Wages Resulting from a Truck Accident in Houston?
- What Is The Average Payout For Whiplash Injury In Texas?
- What Happens If You Get In An Accident In An Uber In Texas?
- My Loved One Was Injured Or Killed In A Bus Accident, Who Is Responsible?
- Can You Change Lawyers In The Middle Of A Personal Injury Case?