There are few incidents more frightening than being hit by a drunk driver. It can seem overwhelming when it is time to consider medical bills, car repairs, and other expenses.
- D. Miller & Associates, PLLC’s drunk driving (DWI) accident and injury lawyers in Galveston, TX. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, we can help you recover potential compensation for accident-related expenses. To learn more, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Get Medical Attention As Soon As Possible
According to the organization Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), approximately 800 people are injured every day in drunk driving accidents. These injuries range from minor cuts and bruises to life-threatening injuries. Even if you do not feel hurt at the moment, a doctor or other medical professional should examine you. Conditions such as whiplash may not be apparent right away. Only a healthcare professional can accurately assess your condition.
After You See Your Healthcare Professional, Call a Drunk Driving Accident and Injury Lawyer in Galveston
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped thousands of injured men and women hurt by someone’s negligence. We handle many types of drunk driving accident and injury cases, including those that involve:
- 18-wheeler and semi-trucks
- Rear-end, roll-over, and head-on collisions
- Intersection accidents
- Multiple vehicle collisions
We are familiar with Texas liability laws, insurance claims, and other procedures that help get you the compensation you could be entitled to receive. A drunk driving accident and injury lawyer from our firm will advocate for you. For your free case evaluation, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
Accidents do not just happen. In this situation, an intoxicated driver caused the collision. He or she may be charged, but this does not mean you will recover for your injuries or damages. A drunk driving accident and injury lawyer in Galveston, TX can pursue recovery on your behalf. The most likely source for a potential recovery is the drunk driver’s insurance coverage.
All drivers have an expected duty of care to drive safely and responsibly to avoid accidents. The other driver breached this duty of care by getting behind the wheel after drinking. Therefore, he or she is liable for your injuries and damages in the form of medical bills, lost pain, mental anguish, and other losses. For a free consultation, please call (713) 850-8600.
There May Be More Than One Negligent Party
Assessing blame in a drunk driving accident and injury case is straight-forward. There may be more than one party who is liable. A drunk driving accident and injury lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can determine if there are multiple parties. He or she will review:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Pictures and/or videos of the accident site and damaged vehicles
- Your injuries
- Driver’s history
- Blood alcohol test results
Texas recognizes three forms of liability:
- Direct liability is the person (in legal terms, the defendant) who is responsible for the accident.
- Vicarious liability is a person or party with a specific relationship to the defendant and could be held accountable.
- Respondeat Superior can hold a supervisor or employer liable.
These legal terms can be confusing. Anyone who is either directly involved or has a relationship to the drunk driver (such as an employer) could be held accountable. A drunk driving accident and injury lawyer in Galveston, TX from our firm can explain your legal options and potential sources for compensation. For a free case evaluation, please call (713) 850-8600.
Common Damages from a Drunk Driving Accident With Injuries
There is no predetermined amount for compensatory damages. Special damages are tangible expenses that can be awarded in a settlement. These include:
- Ambulance and emergency services
- Hospital and other medical bills
- Lost pay
- Reduced earning ability
- Property damage
- Car rental or alternative transportation reimbursement
General damages are less specific but are equally valid. General damages include:
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship or consortium
Insurance Settlements Versus Courtroom Verdicts
Sometimes, an accident victim is reluctant to contact an attorney out of reluctance to go to court. Our drunk driving accident and injury lawyers in Galveston, TX are skilled negotiators who will be able to reach an acceptable insurance settlement. If this is not possible, we have the choice of taking your case to trial. You have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit in Texas.
This may seem like plenty of time. However, it is our experience that insurance companies can be slow to respond to claims. They are also aware of this statute of limitations and if they want to avoid a costly public trial, they may try to “run out the clock”. That is why you should contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC as soon as possible. Please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accidents Are Far Too Common
According to MADD, two out of every three people will be involved in a drunk driving accident at some point in their lives. Nationwide, a life is lost from a drunk driving accident every 51 minutes. In Texas, the number of lives lost to drunk driving is even higher. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that the number of fatal DWI accidents in Texas was consistently higher than the national average from 2003 to 2012.
If a Drunk Driver Injured You, Please Call for a Free Case Evaluation
Our drunk driving accident and injury lawyers in Galveston, TX can help you recover compensation if you qualify. Please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Who Pays for Your Medical Bills During the Personal Injury Claim Process?
- How Do Personal Injury Lawyers Get Paid In Texas?
- I Was Injured In An Accident With An 18-wheeler – Can I Sue?
- I Got Hit By A Car On My Bicycle. What Legal Action Can I Take?
- Do You Need a Car Accident Attorney to Recover Money for Property Damage?