If you suffered injuries in an accident someone else caused, hiring a personal injury lawyer is probably the last thing on your mind. Your focus is on getting well and returning to your normal life. If you have pain and discomfort, however, that can be hard to do. In addition to the effects your injuries and medical treatment have on your daily life, you have the added stress of facing major questions, such as:
- How are you going to pay your medical bills?
- What if you need more medical care or rehabilitation?
- If your injuries made you miss work, how will you replace that lost income and pay your bills?
- Who will care for your family while you are recovering?
- How will you live if you are off work for weeks, months, or permanently?
- If you need someone to care for you while you recover, how will you pay them?
- How can you afford to repair or replace your damaged property?
- If a loved one has injuries, how will you pay for their care?
- If you need care the rest of your life, who will do it and how will you pay for it?
- If a loved one died in the accident, how will you pay burial costs?
An experienced personal injury lawyer in Sugar Land can offer answers to all these questions. At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, our focus is personal injury law. We have the experience necessary to file a personal injury claim to get you the money you need to cover your injuries and damages. For a free case evaluation, call us today at 713-850-8600.
How Do I Recover Compensation After an Accident?
If someone else caused the accident that resulted in your injuries, they are responsible for the losses you have faced because of their behavior. In Texas, you may file a personal injury claim for compensation.
Our attorneys will conduct an investigation to identify the faulty party in your case. We have experience handling a variety of personal injury cases, including:
- Defective drugs;
- Car accidents, truck crashes, and motorcycle wrecks;
- Workplace accidents;
- Dog bites; and
- Slip and fall accidents.
Once we determine who caused your accident, we will file a claim with their insurance company for your damages. It is important to contact us as soon as possible after an accident, however. Under the state’s statute of limitations, you only have two years from the date of your injury to take legal action against the at-fault party.
What Damages Can I Recover With a Personal Injury Claim?
While the details of your case will determine how much your claim is worth, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical costs;
- Pain and suffering;
- Income you lost missing work, now and in the future;
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle;
- Damages to your property;
- Having an arm or leg amputated;
- Changes in your life because of the injuries; and
- Punitive damages, which punish the at-fault party for malicious behavior.
Our lawyers can calculate the amount of money to demand from the insurance company that will pay you for all these costs. We may call on medical experts to explain how the injuries will affect you in the future, and a vocational expert can testify about the impact your injuries will have on your career.
Some damages, including pain and suffering, have no concrete dollar value. Our attorneys have experience estimating the costs of these intangible losses. We will aggressively pursue the maximum compensation in your case.
We know how to find the full value of your claim, and we will fight to make sure your settlement is fair. We will fight for your right to compensation so you can focus on your recovery.
How Will a Lawyer From D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, Help?
We can reduce your stress by taking care of all the details of filing a claim. We can:
- Gather needed evidence;
- Make sure to meet all legal deadlines;
- Locate any needed expert witnesses;
- Determine a fair settlement amount for your injuries;
- Notify the insurance company of your claim;
- Take care of negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurer; and
- Present your case in court, if necessary.
Insurance companies frequently offer to settle early in the process, before you have contacted a lawyer. It can be tempting to take what an insurer offers when the bills are stacking up. But you need to be careful. Once you have accepted a settlement check, you lose the chance to ask for more money later. If you miss more work or have more medical bills, you will have to pay for those costs out of pocket.
Our lawyers will fight for a fair settlement in your case. We will not accept an offer that does not cover the full range of injuries and damages you suffered due to the accident. If your injuries are permanent, we will seek enough money to replace your lost income and cover medical care for the rest of your life.
Even if you will eventually heal, it is important that you recover what your injuries have cost you and what income you have lost. If you need to miss work for weeks or months for repeated surgeries, you may have no way to pay for food, shelter, and clothing for your family. A fair settlement will ensure you are not in worse financial shape than you were before your accident occurred.
If the insurance company in your case refuses to agree to a fair settlement, we can help you file a lawsuit. We will then argue your case in court until we achieve a positive outcome for your case.
How Can I Talk to a Lawyer in Sugar Land for Free?
The attorneys at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, are here to help after a personal injury accident. During our free case evaluation, we will review the facts of what happened to you. If we take your case, you pay no legal fees until you receive a settlement or we win in court. We have experience with personal injury cases and know how to push for fair compensation.
Call us at 713-850-8600 today to schedule your free consultation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do You Know If You Have a Good Personal Injury Case?
- How Do Bicycle Laws Affect Personal Injury Cases in Texas?
- How Can D. Miller & Associates, PLLC Help Me With My Collegiate Sexual Abuse Case?
- What Are the Downsides of Not Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case?
- What Can You Recover for a Wrongful Death From a Truck Accident in Texas?