When you suffer injuries in a car accident, the damages you take on are more than physical. The anxiety over paying medical expenses on top of your standard living expenses—all while missing days at work—can prove overwhelming.
A D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ car accident lawyer serving El Paso can relieve you of this burden. We will make ourselves accessible to you for every question, thought, or concern you have regarding your injuries and how to obtain recovery from the party who caused them.
There were almost 15,000 accidents in El Paso County in 2020 alone, according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). If you or a loved one suffered from an accident on Patriot Freeway, Liberty Expressway, Montana Avenue, or another roadway in El Paso, call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today.
What a Car Accident Lawyer on Our Team Does
When you hire D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ to handle your personal injury claim, we will handle every aspect of your case. Our efforts will include:
- Evaluating your injuries based on photos, medical records, and accounts from your physician
- Determining who is at fault for your car accident
- Reviewing the damages you have suffered, as well as the losses you will sustain in the future
- Communicating and negotiating with the insurance adjuster
- Keeping you up to date on case-related benchmarks, milestones, obstacles, and our strategies for overcoming them
Most of all, we are here to protect your rights as a victim. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today so we can evaluate your case and discuss with you your legal options.
How Negligence Can Cause Car Accidents
Many forms of negligence can serve as the catalyst for a car accident. Any time an individual or entity behaves in a way that puts your safety at risk, they have behaved negligently and could be liable for your damages.
The following examples of negligence cause many types of car accidents in El Paso
- Driving while intoxicated
- Passing in a no-passing zone
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Driving while distracted
- Failing to check before entering a roadway
- Road rage
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Poor road conditions
- Inadequate lighting
- Road construction
- Debris on the road
- Defective car parts (like airbags, tires, brakes, etc.)
- Driving while under the influence
The legal team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ has handled many different types of car accidents over the years, helping countless victims get the recovery they need and deserve after suffering injuries in these collisions.
We handle accidents well beyond the standard two-car accident, including collisions involving:
- 18-wheelers and semi trucks
- Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies
- Hit and runs
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Wrongful death
Potential Liable Parties in a Car Accident Case
The cause of your accident and the individuals involved will determine who is financially responsible for your damages. Our car accident lawyers serving El Paso will investigate your collision and seek financial recovery from more than one party if necessary. Liable parties may include:
- A negligent motorist
- A negligent commercial driver
- A trucking company or a driver’s employer
- A vehicle or auto parts manufacturer
- A government or private road owner
A Note of Caution About Working with the Insurance Company After Your Car Accident
Some car accident victims are surprised when they receive a phone call from the insurance company offering to write them a check for their damages. While it is easy to get thrown off by this seemingly generous gesture, be aware that insurance companies can sometimes lowball your initial offer.
Insurance companies are in the business of making profits—like any other business. By offering you a settlement right out of the gate, they are saving on the internal costs associated with a settlement negotiation, especially if the case ends up in civil court.
Furthermore, these carriers have lots of experience and technology that helps them quickly assess the amount you are likely due based on the nature of the accident and your injuries. They want to surprise you with an offer before you have had a chance to determine what kinds of damages you are eligible to receive.
What Should You Do if the Insurer Contacts You?
If the insurance company contacts you, your best bet is to politely convey that you will need to discuss the matter with your lawyer. Do not share any information or details regarding your accident or your injuries, as the insurance company can and will use what you say against you later in the process.
According to the Texas Office of Public Insurance Counsel (OPIC), motorists must have a minimum of $30,000 in bodily injury (BI) coverage per person or $60,000 in BI coverage per accident for injuries they cause. Drivers must also carry $25,000 in property damage (PD) insurance.
Our attorneys will work to secure the maximum amount of awards available to you through a settlement. However, keep in mind that if the liable driver only has the minimum coverage and your damages exceed their policy, we can pursue awards via a lawsuit. We can also review applicable policies you may hold, such as coverage for collisions involving an uninsured/underinsured motorist.
Building Your El Pase Car Accident Case With Evidence
The legal team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ knows that a strong case is built on a foundation of solid evidence. When you hire us to represent you in your personal injury matter, we will begin by launching a private investigation of your car accident.
During this investigation, we will:
- Collect evidence from the accident scene
- Interview witnesses
- Gather photos and videos (perhaps from nearby surveillance cameras)
- Obtain a copy of the police accident report
- Get copies of all your medical records
- Request wage statements from your employer
This evidence will support not only our arguments establishing liability but also our claim for damages. We will make every effort to build your case on a compelling set of facts that insurance companies, judges, and juries will find difficult to ignore.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today so we can begin investigating your case while the evidence to support it is plentiful and fresh.
Damages You May Recover In Your Car Accident Case
Once we have gathered all the facts to establish negligence, our legal team will focus on the task of constructing your demand letter. This letter will itemize all your losses related to the car accident, and we will present it to the insurance company. Typically, the negotiation process follows, wherein our lawyers will fight aggressively to get you the maximum recovery for your injuries and related damages.
While every case is different, some common types of damages you may recover include:
- Medical expenses (past, future, and ongoing)
- Lost income and benefits
- Prescription medicines
- Lab and imaging costs
- Physical therapy/rehabilitation
- Diminished future potential earnings
- Replacement services (housekeeping, lawn maintenance, etc.)
- Vehicle repair or replacement costs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished enjoyment of life
Call our office today so we can arrange for a free, no-obligation legal consultation and give you an idea of the potential for recoverable damages in your car accident case.
Texas Wrongful Death Awards
According to Texas law, if your loved one suffered a fatal injury due to a “wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default,” you may qualify to recover damages on their behalf. The law states that a deceased’s surviving spouse, parent, or children have three months to file a wrongful death case. If none of the qualified family members takes action during this time, the decedent’s personal representative (executor) can file on behalf of the estate.
Wrongful death awards may include:
- Your loved one’s medical bills and funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the deceased’s earning capacity, including the value of inheritance they would have saved had they lived
- Loss of the deceased’s love, comfort, society, and companionship
- Surviving family members’ mental pain and anguish
About D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™, our only mission is to secure fair financial recovery for you and your family. Our lawyers, investigators, and paralegals will make your case a priority because we know that getting the awards you need to pay for your damages and protect your financial future is of the utmost importance.
When you work with us, we will never waste your time by giving you the runaround or leaving you second-guessing the status of your case. We will:
- Meet you at the hospital, your home, our offices, or wherever is most convenient for you
- Explain your case and what to expect without using complicated “leaglese”
- Return your phone calls and emails in a timely fashion
- Assist with scheduling doctor appointments, even if you do not have health insurance
- Focus on your case so that you can focus on getting better
Get Help from a Car Accident Lawyer at Our Firm Serving El Paso Today
If you have sustained physical injuries in a car accident in El Paso, let D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ fight for your right to recovery from the party responsible for your injury.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ to see how a car accident lawyer serving El Paso can help with your case. Know that the statute of limitations imposed by Texas law generally limits how long we have to act to two years from the time of your injury or two years from your loved one’s passing. Do not wait too long to get started.