If you were involved in an accident with a semi-truck as a motorist, bicyclist, pedestrian, or motorcycle rider, you are more likely to suffer significant injuries that may have long-term consequences.
A semi-truck accident lawyer in Houston from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you pursue damages for your medical bills and other expenses while you focus on your health.
Call Us for Help After a Semi-Truck Accident
There are many factors in semi-truck accidents, but they typically point toward one main cause: negligence. The driver may have been overly tired, unqualified, distracted, driving too fast, or careless about switching lanes. These are just a few examples of how a reckless act or failure to act may lead to an accident.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a semi-truck accident, an attorney from our team will protect your rights and seek financial recovery on your behalf.
We Can Pursue Damages on Your Behalf
Each cause is unique, and we cannot guarantee a specific outcome. However, our firm has successfully recovered damages for other clients that include:
- Surgery and hospitalization
- Ambulance and emergency care
- Rehabilitative therapy and treatment
- Lost pay because of injury
- Reduced earning capacity
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Disfigurement such as scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Property damage
We can also help surviving family members who lost a loved one in a semi-truck accident.
Why You Should Hire a Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Houston
Commercial trucking companies are regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), with guidelines ranging from cargo restrictions to required rest stops. Unfortunately, semi-truck drivers can sometimes face pressure from trucking company management to ignore these safety rules for greater profits.
If a trucking company is willing to ignore the FMCSA, they may also try to prevent you from collecting damages in an insurance claim.
That is one reason to consider hiring a semi-truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ to help you fight for damages. Here are a few more:
- The insurance company may pressure you into accepting an inadequate settlement given your injuries and damages.
- There can be several liable parties we can hold accountable for your injuries and damages.
- There is a limited time to file a personal injury lawsuit if it becomes clear that the other party will not negotiate in good faith.
Our lawyers can handle negotiations with the defendants or insurance adjusters for you.
Insurance Claim Versus Personal Injury Lawsuit
A semi-truck accident lawyer in Houston from our law firm can file an insurance claim for you. This will include:
- Proof of your liability
- Proof of your injuries
- Necessary documentation
- Access to expert witnesses
Many accident cases reach an agreement—or settlement—with the insurance company. However, sometimes this process is fruitless. An attorney with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can file a personal injury lawsuit to seek damages in court. You have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit under Texas law.
We Obtain Evidence to Establish Liability
A semi-truck accident attorney will carefully examine your case and look for evidence that shows liability by the other party.
This evidence may include:
- On-board digital information (“black box”)
- Driver’s logbooks
- Photos or videos of the accident scene
- Accident reconstruction
- Police reports
- Physical evidence like skid marks, debris, and damage to your vehicle
- Information on maintenance, training, and driving history
Four Conditions of Negligence
You are the party seeking damages, so it is up to you and your legal team to show how the other party caused your injuries and damages.
A semi-truck accident lawyer with our firm can help you do this by using evidence, testimony, and documentation to meet these four conditions of liability:
- Establish that the driver owed you a duty of care to take reasonable measures to avoid the accident.
- Determine that the driver breached this duty of care for some reason (for example, drowsy driving).
- Show how this caused your injuries.
- Demonstrate the damages resulting from these injuries.
Damages from a semi-truck accident may be considerable, particularly if you were grievously injured, have a lengthy recovery, or if you will have a permanent medical condition or disability.
Parties Who May be Liable
Accidents involving a semi-truck may have multiple defendants, including:
- The driver
- Trucking firm
- Truck’s owner (if different)
- Trailer’s owner or leasing company
- Owner of the cargo
- Safety inspectors
A lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can identify all liable parties and seek damages from them accordingly.
Types of Semi-Truck Accident Cases
Our law firm handles all types of semi-truck accidents, including those that involve:
- Drunk or intoxicated driving
- Drowsy driving
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Failing to stop
- Distracted driving
- Cargo accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Head-on collisions with injuries
- Rear-end collisions
- Defective tire or part accidents
- Reckless driving accidents
We Can Help with Your Semi-Truck Accident Case
A semi-truck accident lawyer in Houston from our team can file your insurance claim, negotiate for a settlement, and protect your rights. You may be able to recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, and other losses related to the accident.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ to get a free case evaluation today.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Do Traumatic Brain Injury Claims Have Such Large Verdicts & Settlements?
- My Loved One Was Injured Or Killed In A Bus Accident, Who Is Responsible?
- How Soon Do You Need to File A Claim After A Bicycle Accident in Texas?
- Is Pain and Suffering Separate from Medical Bills?
- Can You Sue Walmart If You Slip and Fall in A Texas Store?