The Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrator’s Motor Vehicle Traffic Collision Statistics show that there was over 1,100 commercial vehicle (including truck) registrations in 2017. Any of these drivers could cause an accident that could harm you or a loved one. The average 18-wheeler truck with cargo weighs much more than the average car. This disparity in size usually results in more severe injuries for the car’s driver and passengers than those in the truck.
If you or a loved one were hurt in a collision involving an 18-wheeler truck, you may have questions about liability and financial recovery. An 18-wheeler accident lawyer serving Canada with our firm can answer your questions, protect your rights, and help you recover damages.
For a free case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
Our Firm Accepts Many Kinds of 18-Wheeler Accidents
Not all law firms handle accidents for drivers whose cars were struck by an 18-wheeler. Our lawyers have a deep understanding of liability and negligence laws and will guide you through this process for the best possible outcome.
Our legal team accepts accident cases such as:
- Drunk driving (DWI) accidents
- Hit and run
- Drowsy driving accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Head-on collisions with injuries
- Defective tire accidents
The first step toward recovering damages is a free case evaluation. There are deadlines for filing a personal injury lawsuit throughout Canada. You deserve to have access to all avenues of potential recovery.
How an 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer Helps You
Your first call after an accident with an 18-wheeler should be to your doctor (if you have not already been examined). A medical professional can diagnose your injuries and help you start to feel better.
Likewise, an 18-wheeler accident lawyer can evaluate your situation and help you understand how you could recover damages from all liable parties.
As our client, you enjoy access to a legal team who will diligently pursue evidence to build a compelling case. Some of the evidence that helps in these cases includes:
- Police and accident reports
- Eyewitness testimonies
- Photos and videos of the accident site, damage to your car, debris, skid marks, and other visual evidence.
- Testimony from your medical provider who can explain how your injuries may prevent you from returning to your pre-accident life and activities
- Review of safety, training, and maintenance records
An 18-wheeler accident lawyer serving Canada will also want to get a detailed account from you and any passengers in the car about what happened before, during, and after the accident.
For a free case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
Our Lawyers Take Care of Filing and Managing the Insurance Claim
If you are recovering from extensive injuries, you may be facing weeks or months of recuperation. You may not feel well enough to tackle the many tasks associated with filing an insurance claim against the liable party.
Our 18-wheeler accident lawyers will take care of filing, tracking, and managing your claim. In our experience, some insurance adjusters try to downplay claims or make a lowball offer. It is common to have negotiations back and forth until both parties reach an acceptable compromise.
You should not have to deal with the stress of managing an insurance claim. We will make sure that your rights are preserved to help you get the recovery you may deserve.
Understanding What Types of Damages Might Be Recovered
Compensatory damages are the economic and noneconomic losses that you sustained because of your injuries. Specific or economic damages can be as straight-forward as a receipt for a towing company if your car is undrivable.
General or noneconomic damages are more challenging to determine since they are intangible. For example, mental anguish is general damage.
An insurance adjuster or the court may calculate general damages based upon the severity and extent of your injuries. Other factors might include:
- If you also lost a loved one in the accident in addition to your injuries.
- If your injuries resulted in the loss of a bodily function.
- If the at-fault party acted in a particularly egregious manner.
A lawyer with our firm can explain your potential financial recovery. Call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
An 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer Pursues Recovery on Your Behalf
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, your injuries, and your damages, our lawyers may be able to help you recover damages for:
- Medical expenses
- Long-term care or disability
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning ability due to injuries
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
If you lost a loved one in an 18-wheeler truck accident, please accept our sympathies. Our lawyers can examine the circumstances of your loved one’s passing and help you recover wrongful death damages such as final expenses and loss of lifetime income.
Our Lawyers Suggest the Following After the Accident
Any type of motor vehicle accident has the potential to drastically alter your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. This particularly applies to collisions between your car and an 18-wheeler truck. At the very least, 18-wheeler accidents disrupt your daily schedule for work, school, and family.
We suggest the following actions to hopefully make your life easier after an accident:
- Get medical attention at once.
- Follow your medical provider’s care instructions for your best health and to avoid jeopardizing potential financial recovery.
- Please wait to speak to the insurance adjuster until you have the chance to consult a lawyer.
- Keep all receipts.
- Avoid posting pictures and comments about the accident on social media.
- If you hire a lawyer, do not discuss your case with anyone else.
It is your right to have a lawyer represent you against the insurance company and at trial if necessary.
Call an 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer Serving Canada
The Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrator’s Motor Vehicle Traffic Collision Statistics for 2016 reported that there were over 160,000 injuries due to motor vehicle accidents. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident involving an 18-wheeler truck, you could recover damages. Our lawyers will protect your rights and help you obtain financial recovery from the responsible party.
For a free, no-obligation case evaluation call (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What If a Family Member Is Too Seriously Injured to Contact a Lawyer?
- The Woodlands Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer
- What is ‘Loss of Future Earning Capacity’ & How Does it Apply to Injury Cases?
- What Do I Do If I Was a Victim of George Tyndall at USC?
- What If I’m Injured in A Rental Car Accident in Houston?