Sexual assault is both a crime and an injury for which you may be entitled to financial recovery. If you were sexually abused in college, you could be entitled to recovery of medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. A lawyer with our firm can help you pursue recovery and will protect your rights.
Why Many Sexual Abuse Survivors May Want to Consult a Lawyer
Our firm represents sexual abuse survivors.
Every survivor should consult a sexual abuse lawsuit lawyer. Reasons to do this:
- To make their voice heard and add their story to others harmed by sexual abuse.
- To seek recovery for damages that they may be entitled to receive.
- To shine a light on dangerous policies or behaviors that may enable a sexual abuser.
- To strengthen their personal recovery by telling their story to a safe and confidential listener.
It is your right to seek legal counsel to hold an offender accountable for your physical, emotional, and financial losses.
How We Can Help
Most people do not have a legal background or experience to fully protect and exert their rights. It is also difficult for many sexual abuse survivors to communicate with the defendant or with the defendant’s lawyer.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can help you with:
- Resources and staff who can investigate and evaluate your case.
- Proper valuation of your damages both current and future.
- Deep understanding of the necessary evidence and testimony in a sexual abuse lawsuit.
- Communication with the defendant and/or the defendant’s lawyer.
- Contingency-based legal representation.
Be Aware of the Statute of Limitations
Each state has its own statute of limitations that limits the time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you do not file a lawsuit within this time, your complaint will be dismissed. In Texas, Texas Civil Code- Chapter 16 limits victims to two years to act.
There are a couple of factors that may influence the statute of limitations for your specific case:
- Your age at the time of the sexual assault
- If you were previously incapacitated
- New evidence that may affect your case
The law is complex, and it is best if you have a lawyer to protect your rights.
Financial Recovery in a Sexual Abuse Case
A lawyer with our firm can help you seek damages that were caused by the sexual abuse. For example, these damages may include counseling and therapy for depression or anxiety brought on by the attack.
These may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages or reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
We Are Proudly a Plaintiff’s Firm
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has devoted our resources to helping those injured or disabled through someone else’s actions or inaction. Our lawyers, paralegals, investigators, and other staff combine professionalism with warmth and compassion for each client.
Our sexual abuse practice area includes:
- OSU (Ohio State University) and Dr. Richard Strauss sexual abuse lawsuit
- USC (University of Southern California) and Dr. George Tyndall sexual abuse lawsuit
- USC and Dr. Dennis Kelly sexual abuse lawsuit
- UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) and Dr. James Heaps sexual abuse lawsuit
- Human trafficking victims
- Sexual violence and harassment
One Phone Call and We Are Here to Help
If you or a family member was sexually assaulted or abused in college, you should understand the legal options available to you. Please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for a free case evaluation: (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Does the UCLA Sexual Abuse Settlement Cover, What Are the Specifics?
- What Are Some Questions to Ask a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?
- How Can D. Miller and Associates, PLLC Help Me With My USC Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
- If A Car Accident Is Not My Fault, What Do I Do?
- How Do You Prove A Property Owner Was Negligent in A Premises Liability Case?