Millions of motor vehicle accidents occur in the United States each year, leading to thousands of fatalities and even more injuries. In collisions involving tractor-trailers, the risk of severe or fatal injury increases, particularly for those in passenger vehicles. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2018, large truck accidents caused the fatal injuries of 4,415 people.. Sadly, 616 of them occurred in Texas.
If you suffered serious injuries or lost a family member in a truck collision in Dallas County as a result of the driver’s negligence, a tractor-trailer accident lawyer in Irving, TX can help you hold them accountable by pursuing financial recovery for your losses. Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ at (713) 850-8600 to speak with our legal team about your case.
Dallas County Cities Rank Among the Least Safe in the Nation for Driving
Texas has a large population of tractor-trailers, and between the oilfield roads and traffic congestion, they contribute to many accidents across the state. In fact, Texas has more truck accidents per year than any other state, far exceeding California, which comes in second on the list. Between 2014 and 2018, the fatality rate for Texas tractor-trailer accidents continued to rise.
Certain major cities and their metropolitan areas have become notorious for their dangerous traffic statistics, including Dallas. According to an article in the Dallas Morning News, drivers in Dallas have an estimated 46% higher chance of involvement in an accident than drivers in many other major cities.
The Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report from 2019, where the article found its data, reports that Dallas suburbs rank even less safe than Dallas, which came in at number 172 on the list of 200. Many other Dallas County cities also came in near the bottom including Irving, which ranked 180.
Large Trucks Present an Increased Risk to Other Drivers
Especially in areas with heavy traffic, tractor-trailers can make traveling on Texas roads more hazardous. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), in 2018, 3,754 truck accidents occurred in Dallas County. Throughout the U.S., passenger vehicle occupants made up 96% of all fatalities in tractor-trailer accidents that year.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), semi-trucks have certain inherent dangers due to their size, which include:
- A weight of 20 to 30 times more than passenger vehicles
- A higher ground clearance that can allow cars to slide underneath in accidents
- A braking distance of up to 40% longer than passenger vehicles
If a large truck driver caused the collision that led to your injuries or the loss of a loved one, the lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you with your case. Contact our legal team at (713) 850-8600 to discuss your legal options.
A Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer in Irving, TX Can Help You Establish Liability in Your Case
In Texas, the driver who caused the accident holds responsibility for covering the victims’ damages. In order to seek financial recovery from the liable party, you must demonstrate that the other driver acted in a negligent manner and then file a claim to pursue a settlement with their insurance company.
Demonstrating that the tractor-trailer driver’s actions constitute negligence involves proving that they meet four specific criteria.
- The driver had a duty of care to exercise reasonable precautions to protect your safety or the safety of your loved one.
- The driver breached their duty of care either through an intentional act or by failing to act.
- The driver’s breach of care led to your injuries or the loss of your loved one.
- Your injuries or the loss of your loved one incurred significant damages.
A lawyer can help you establish liability in your case and seek an adequate settlement from the insurance company.
Handle Insurance Companies
Liability insurance policies exist to benefit the victims in accidents, but insurance companies often hesitate to provide a fair settlement. They work for a profit, so many adjusters will find ways to undercut the value of a victim’s losses to try to provide victims with as little as possible. They may try to blame you for the accident or offer you a settlement upfront that seems generous but does not reflect the extent of your damages. Because of their confusing tactics, victims often receive less than what they deserve for their claim.
If your Dallas County truck accident left you with costly injuries, you do not have to deal with the insurance companies yourself. A tractor-trailer accident lawyer in Irving, TX, can handle all negotiations with the adjusters and their legal teams and pursue adequate financial recovery on your behalf.
Financial Recovery in Tractor-Trailer Accident Cases
Awards in tractor-trailer accidents vary based on many elements of your case, such as the severity of your injuries, the financial impact of the collision, and the availability of insurance coverage. Some of the types of financial recovery you may achieve in your case include:
- Emergency medical care, medical equipment, and follow-up treatment
- Transportation to and from medical appointments
- Lost wages for the time you had to miss at work to recover from your injuries
- Loss of earning capacity if your injuries left you unable to return to work or you lost a loved one who provided you with financial support
- Pain and suffering, such as mental anguish or permanent disfigurement
- Funeral and burial expenses if you lost a loved one in the accident
A lawyer can help you assess your damages and seek fair financial awards.
Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ Today
If you or someone you love suffered serious or fatal injuries in a tractor-trailer accident in Irving, TX, the lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you by investigating your case, establishing liability, filing your claim within the time allotted by law, and pursuing financial recovery for you. Contact us today at (713) 850-8600 to discuss your case evaluation with our legal team.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Who Pays for Your Medical Bills During the Personal Injury Claim Process?
- How Long Do You Have to File A Claim for A Slip and Fall Injury in Texas?
- How Many Victims Have Filed Charges Against UCLA?
- What Do I Do If I Was a Victim of Sexual Assault While in College?
- What Are Some Questions to Ask a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?