Tractor-trailer accidents happen every day and cause major injuries and destroy cars. If you are involved in a tractor-trailer accident, dealing with the fallout can be a lengthy process. Aside from recovering from your physical injuries, the expenses that you have to deal with can become a major interruption to your life. Fortunately, you may be able to take legal action to help with your financial recovery.
If you or a loved one were injured in a tractor-trailer accident, consider working with a tractor-trailer accident lawyer serving League City, TX. The next steps that you take may help you avoid major problems in the next few years of your life. Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 to determine your legal options.
Understanding Your Rights
When you are hurt in some way, you can take legal action to deal with the fallout from the accident under civil law. This includes getting into an accident with a tractor-trailer. You should be able to take legal action to prevent the accident from ruining your finances and creating substantial hardships for you and your family in the future.
There are many reasons why truck accidents happen. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), trucks have many vulnerabilities that make them more dangerous than other vehicles. The most notable of these problems is large blind spots, which makes it more difficult to drive near a truck safely. Truck drivers are well trained and experienced in dealing with these problems. However, truck drivers can still make mistakes and be held liable for the damages that they cause.
Seeking Legal Action
The process for protecting yourself from ongoing problems relating to your accident is filing a civil lawsuit. In this lawsuit, you file claims for property damage, medical expenses, and other expenses related to your accident. The lawsuit goes to trial, and you may receive several awards that can help with your financial situation.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), truck accidents are common, and dealing with the results is expensive. This is why many accident victims decide to file lawsuits. A lawsuit can help you deal with expenses that could ruin their finances for years. Although these expenses will still need to be paid for, you can hold the responsible party liable for those expenses so that you do not have to deal with them alone.
Statute of Limitations
Taking legal action is an important decision that you will need to make within a few years after your accident. According to the Texas law, you only have two years from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit. It can be a difficult decision to make, especially if you have never been involved in a legal process. However, you can discuss your case with a lawyer to see if taking legal action is the best choice for your situation. Some lawyers offer free consultations so that there is no cost to speak about your accident.
Tractor-Trailer Accident Expenses
Tractor-trailer accidents usually result in a lot of expenses. Some of the most common expenses include:
- Emergency medical expenses: After your accident, an ambulance probably took you to the emergency room. The cost of the ambulance and emergency care can be expensive and is one of the biggest problems that accident victims face.
- Ongoing medical expenses: If you have serious injuries or whiplash, you may need ongoing care to ensure that you recover properly. Visits to specialists can be expensive and may not be covered by your insurance policy.
- Car repairs or replacement costs: If your car was damaged in the accident, it will need to be repaired before you can start driving and again. It may be tempting to save the costs of repairing minor damage, but this could void your car insurance plan. Accidents with tractor-trailers tend to lead to smaller vehicles being damaged beyond repair.
- Lost wages: Until your cars repaired in your injuries are healing, you may be out of work. You will not be able to earn a living and pay your regular expenses on top of your accident-related expenses. You can claim the wages that you lost in the lawsuit.
There are other tractor-trailer accident expenses that are not covered on this list—with all of the potential costs of an accident, filing a lawsuit to help your finances may alleviate some of the financial strain. Before you take any action, you have a right to seek legal guidance. For a free consultation, contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
Auto Insurance Settlements
Insurance companies play an important role in resolving car accident lawsuits. The insurance agency for the truck driver will handle the case. This means that you may be offered an insurance settlement. Depending on how your insurance plan works, your insurance company may offer you a settlement. Having a lawyer that can help you with negotiating for fair compensation that covers your losses both now and in the future.
Before you accept any settlement offers, you can have a lawyer review them. You want to make sure that the terms of the settlement meet your needs. The initial settlement offer may not cover enough.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one were injured in a tractor-trailer accident, consider taking legal action. Doing so can protect you from the long-term impact of the accident and help you get your life back on track. For assistance throughout the legal process, discuss your case with a tractor-trailer accident lawyer serving League City, TX, to see if legal action is right for your situation. Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free consultation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Pain And Suffering Include Medical Bills?
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle in Texas?
- How Do I Get a Police Report for a Car Accident In Dallas?
- What Should You Do If You Were Injured in A Hit and Run Accident in Texas?
- I Was Injured in an Accident with an 18-Wheeler. Can I Sue?