A hazard on someone else’s property that leads you to slip and fall can cause severe injuries. In this situation, you may have a legal remedy against the property owner or other third parties.
A slip and fall accident lawyer serving Carrollton from our law firm can assist you in the process of securing damages in your case. Slip and fall cases are not rare in this city—or in district court, either. You are not alone in your struggle for justice.
Recovering Damages in a Slip and Fall Case
Businesses and other public places are often sites for fall-related injuries. Business owners may face liability when slip and fall accidents cause harm.
How do I Know If I Have a Slip and Fall Case?
Slip and fall cases are personal injury cases. Determining eligibility in these situations requires looking at the facts of the event. Business owners have a general duty to keep their premises reasonably free of hazards that could be dangerous to the public. They have a legal obligation to:
- Regularly and thoroughly inspect their property to make sure it is safe
- Take reasonable action to correct any dangerous conditions
- Warn others of the existence of the hazard to avoid accidents
Businesses that owe this legal duty to the public include stores, hotels, restaurants, and offices. The owners or managers of these types of venues should always be on the lookout for hazards. Hazardous situations include holes in flooring, slick floors, cracked pavement, and crumbling steps.
What Kind of Financial Recovery Can I Get From Filing a Personal Injury Claim?
The recovery that you receive in a slip and fall case depends on the nature of your injuries and losses. For instance:
- If your fall requires you to have surgery as treatment, you could recover the costs of hospitalization, surgery, medical devices, and follow-up doctor appointments.
- If your fall causes you to miss work to get medical treatment or recover, you could recover the wages that you lost.
- If your fall leaves you with a permanent impairment, you might be able to get a recovery that takes that loss into account.
- Recovery for physical pain and suffering and emotional trauma
- Recognition for a loss of future earning capacity and income if you cannot return to work indefinitely due to your injuries
How Much of a Financial Recovery Will I Get?
Various factors affect the overall amount of your financial recovery. Every slip and fall case is different, and injuries can range from fairly minor to exceedingly severe. Some of the considerations that affect your financial recovery include:
- The amount of necessary medical treatment
- The length of your recovery
- The permanency of your injuries
- The degree of fault attributable to all parties involved
- The amount of available insurance coverage
Catastrophic injuries like permanent disabilities typically result in a greater financial recovery than what minor and temporary injuries create. A lawyer from our law firm serving Carrollton can assist you in gathering evidence of your slip and fall injuries. Our firm wants to support your case.
Knowing How Our Law Firm Can Help After Your Slip and Fall Accident
Our law firm serves an important function after your slip and fall accident. You should focus on recovering from your injuries and the trauma of your accident; we can handle the rest.
Your injury lawyers will work to gather evidence and build a legal case on your behalf. This can lessen some of your burdens during this challenging time in your life.
Gathering Evidence Can Support Your Slip and Fall Testimony
Our first step is to thoroughly investigate your case and gather the evidence necessary to build your case, such as:
- Medical records and bills
- Surveillance video footage
- Eyewitness statements
- Incident reports
- Internal repair requests, reports, and bills
- Company policies on safety
- Documentation of similar incidents in the past
Getting this evidence may take time, as many of these items are in the custody of third parties. Additionally, you could undergo extended medical treatment for some time. So, we might need to wait until you have reached your maximum medical improvement to complete your claim.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim for Recovery Can be More Complicated Than It Seems
Once we have the evidence needed to prove fault in your case, we can present a claim to the insurance company for any possible responsible parties.
Your lawyer could also:
- Provide documentation of your injuries and losses to the insurance company
- Handle all communications with insurance companies and their attorneys
- Engage in settlement negotiations
- Meet all necessary deadlines
- File a lawsuit, if needed
- Take your case to trial
Identifying Who Is Responsible in a Slip and Fall Case
Multiple parties could be liable for your losses. For example, if you slip and fall and sustain injuries in a private residence, the homeowner may be liable. If you slip and fall in a business open to the public, however, liable parties could include:
- Property owners
- Property managers
- Operators of businesses on the property
- Individuals or companies that rent or lease the property
- Anyone responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the property
Identifying the parties who are responsible for your accident is a necessary step in the process of seeking a financial recovery. Our law firm can investigate the facts of your case and properly identify the relevant parties.
You Must Understand Time Limits Relevant to Your Carrollton Case
You have a time limit to file your case in court after suffering injuries in a slip and fall accident. Under Texas law, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit against all responsible parties. If the deadline is missed, you will most likely be barred from moving forward with your claim.
Let Our Legal Professionals Help with Your Slip and Fall Accident Case
We are focused on your well-being throughout every step of your case. Our slip and fall lawyers will work to build your premises liability case for damages. Our team working with Carrollton families knows how to handle these types of cases from start to finish.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today for a complimentary case evaluation and guidance regarding what to do after a slip and fall. Learn more about your rights after a slip and fall accident in which you or a loved one has suffered injuries.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Should You Do If You Are Injured In Bicycle Accident In Texas?
- What Is The OSU Collegiate Sexual Assault Settlement?
- What Is the Deadline to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit from an Auto Accident in Texas?
- What Happens If You Get In An Accident Without A License In Texas?
- Can I Sue for Lost Wages Resulting from a Truck Accident in Houston?