According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), commercial vehicles played a role in 37,515 accidents in the state in 2018. If you or a loved one were hurt in an accident involving a commercial vehicle, you have the right to learn more about your legal options. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has a wide practice area that includes commercial vehicle accidents. For a free case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
How Commercial Vehicle Accidents Are Different from Other Collisions
Commercial vehicle accidents differ from other collisions for several reasons. First, commercial vehicles are oftentimes larger than the average car, so injuries are often significant or extensive. Additionally, in these types of accidents, more than one party can be found liable, so it is necessary to investigate and examine how all factors contributed to an accident.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has the resources, knowledge, and compassion to help you recover damages after a commercial vehicle accident.
Types of Commercial Vehicle Accidents that We Handle
Our team of commercial vehicle accident lawyers is ready to help you after many types of accidents that involve a commercial vehicle, including:
- Cargo falling into the roadway
- Accidents caused by defective tires, parts, or repairs
- Distracted driving accidents
- Drowsy driving accidents
- Drunk driving (DWI) accidents
- Speeding or other traffic violation–related accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Left-turn accidents
- Head-on collisions with injuries
- Road rage incidents
A commercial vehicle can be defined as:
- Delivery vans
- 18-wheelers and semi-trucks
- Town cars
- Fleet cars
- Utility trucks
- Construction trucks and motorized, wheeled equipment
- Agricultural equipment
If you or a loved one were hurt in an accident involving any commercial or business vehicle, call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today for a free case evaluation at (713) 850-8600.
Benefits of a Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer
You should know that in the days following your accident, you may be contacted by the trucking company’s insurance adjuster, who may offer you quick coverage for your losses. It is important to note that without fully understanding your legal options, these awards may not cover the cost of future damages you may incur from your accident. Accepting any settlement from the liable party will prevent you from seeking further legal action.
It is your right to consult a lawyer of your choosing to help you make informed decisions about your financial recovery. Call D. Miller & Associates today for a free case evaluation at (713) 850-8600.
What Our Firm Offers You
As a valued client, you may expect that our team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will:
- Examine the details of your case to identify the liable party or parties
- Collect evidence of liability
- Present a claim to the other party’s insurance company
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf
- Protect and preserve your legal rights throughout this process
You might also be recovering from injuries that keep you bedridden or otherwise housebound for an extended period of time. Our team is standing by to help you recover damages so you can focus on getting better.
How We Help You Pursue Recovery
The liable party may present their own argument with reasons why they should not be held liable for your injuries and damages. Texas is an “at-fault” state, meaning that you must prove the accountability of the negligent party to recover your losses. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will build a case to help you get the settlement to which you may be entitled.
Our process of proving liability may include:
- Examining evidence from the accident scene, such as photos, videos, on-board information, police reports, and witness statements
- Conducting follow-up interviews with law enforcement, witnesses, medical experts, or other subject matter experts, as needed
- Gathering a written assessment from your healthcare provider and records of your injuries to establish how the accident impacted you physically and emotionally
- Looking for evidence of accountability or wrongdoing from the other party through drug or alcohol test results or from previous infractions
It takes time to build a persuasive claim. If the other side is unwilling to negotiate a fair settlement, your best option may be to go to trial. According to the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, you have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit. In most cases, you have two years from the date you were injured; however, the number of people involved in the accident may influence this window of action.
Damages You Could Recover After a Commercial Vehicle Accident
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped many injured people recover damages from those responsible.
In our experience, the most common types of damages from this type of personal injury often include:
- Medical care (including ambulances, emergency room services, surgery, hospitalization stays, imaging tests and scans, and others)
- Lost pay if your injury prevented you from working
- Property damage
- Domestic services
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
If you have an accident-related disability or other permanent medical condition, our team may seek compensation for additional damages, such as:
- Diminished earning capacity
- Lifecare costs
- Loss of consortium
We may consult with medical, vocational, and financial professionals to determine the validity of what your settlement may cover.
Wrongful Death After a Commercial Vehicle Accident
In 2018, 611 people lost their lives in commercial vehicle accidents, according to the Texas Department of Transportation’s motor vehicle crash statistics.
A commercial vehicle lawyer with our firm may be able to help you recover losses by filing a wrongful death insurance claim or lawsuit.
These damages might include:
- Medical treatment until your loved one’s passing
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of lifetime income
- Loss of consortium, companionship, protection, support, or guidance
- Loss of inheritance
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
You and your family can take the time you need to get back on your feet while our lawyers pursue recovery on your behalf.
Call a Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer Serving Fairfield Today
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can help you seek financial recovery from a reckless driver or another liable party. Our team is eager to hear from you.
Call for your free case evaluation today at (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Do I Do If I Was a Victim of George Tyndall at USC?
- If I Have Been Injured In A Truck Accident Can I Sue The Trucking Company?
- Are Trucking Companies Required By Texas Law To Have Full Coverage Insurance?
- Should You Ever Accept the Insurance Company’s First Offer After an Accident?
- Are the Benefits From Workers’ Compensation Taxable In Texas?