The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reported in 2016 that there were over 12.5 million registered commercial large trucks and buses in the U.S. In 2017, there were roughly 450,000 police-reported accidents with large trucks–over 4,000 were fatal crashes, and 344,000 were injury crashes.
If you were injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to recovery for medical expenses, lost wages, and other financial damages. As truck accident lawyers serving Tomball, a member of our team will evaluate your case for free.
You have a brief time to seek recovery for truck accident injuries. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today at (713) 850-8600 to speak with a truck accident lawyer serving Tomball, TX.
Actions We Recommend After a Truck Accident
A truck accident can leave you feeling emotional. You may be recovering from your injuries in the hospital or at home. As truck accident lawyers, we strive to do all we can to help you and your family. To make things easier for you, here are some suggestions that have helped other truck accident victims.
Get Medical Care and Follow Your Provider’s Instructions
If you have not been examined by a medical professional yet, please do so at once. Some people can suffer from whiplash or a concussion without symptoms for several hours after a collision. You do not want to jeopardize your health by assuming that you are fine—a medical professional can give you that reassurance.
If you are already under a medical provider’s care, please follow all instructions for rest, medication, or other prescribed treatment. Be sure to keep all your receipts, including a mileage log between your home and the doctor and pharmacy.
Record or Write Down a Detailed Account of the Accident
A truck accident lawyer serving Tomball, TX, with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will consider many factors, including your personal account of what happened just before and after the accident. It is important to record these details while they are fresh in your mind. Be sure to include information such as:
- Date and time of the accident
- Where the accident happened
- Weather and road conditions
- What you saw and heard before and after the impact
Avoid Talking to the Insurance Adjuster Until You Talk to an Attorney
A truck accident lawyer with our firm will take care of filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Unfortunately, it is in our experience that some insurance adjusters may take advantage of the fact that you are recovering from injuries and not feeling your best.
If you must talk to an insurance adjuster, please say only the following:
- Make, model, and year of your vehicle
- Day and time of the accident
- Name of your insurance carrier
It is your right to politely refuse to answer any other questions or make a statement about the accident. An unscrupulous adjuster may use an innocent omission or inconsistency in your account to deny your claim.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC to Protect Your Rights
Our truck accident lawyers serving Tomball, TX, are familiar with the state’s liability and negligence statutes. We can also stand up to an insurance adjuster who may try to delay, deny, or undervalue your claim. You deserve to know your legal options and have your rights protected. For a free case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
We Help You Pursue Financial Recovery
A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will determine how a careless driver caused you to suffer injuries and related financial losses. We will pursue recovery for such damages as:
- Medical bills, including ambulance, hospital stays, and follow-up care
- Property damage such as car repairs and temporary transportation
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning ability because of injuries
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death if a loved one passed away from accident-related injuries
The sooner you call, the sooner we can pursue recovery for your damages. Call (713) 850-8600.
We Can File the Insurance Claim for You
Many truck accidents are settled out of court. It is common for both parties to reach a mutually acceptable settlement from the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier. However, if you accept a settlement, you generally lose your right to file a personal injury lawsuit.
That is why so many Tomball residents and other injured men and women throughout the area call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for help. We have successfully represented many truck accident victims since opening our firm. As our client, you receive the highest level of care at every stage.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC takes care of such details as:
- Gathering evidence to decide who is primarily responsible for the collision: this evidence may include police reports, witness statements, photographs of the accident site, and your injuries.
- Submitting a detailed claim for your damages: these include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related losses.
- Naming all liable parties, including the trucking company: our lawyers review the driver’s experience and training, truck and rig maintenance records, and driver’s logs, and safety and training procedures.
- Negotiating with the insurance adjuster on your behalf: if we cannot reach an acceptable settlement, our lawyers can and will take your case to trial if necessary.
We Determine Who May Be Held Accountable
It can be difficult to determine which parties are liable in a truck accident because more than one party is typically responsible. This is due to vicarious liability laws that hold an employer liable for any actions its employees take within the scope of their employment. This means that if the truck driver is liable, the trucking company is likely also liable.
Under Texas’ statute of limitations, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. It takes time to build a compelling case, so it is important that you consult a truck accident lawyer today.
If You Were Hurt in a Truck Accident, Call (713) 850-8600
A careless truck driver should be held accountable for any injuries they cause. A truck accident lawyer serving Tomball, TX, with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will protect your rights and pursue recovery on your behalf. For a free case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do You Know If Your Injuries Are Serious Enough to Contact a Lawyer?
- My Loved One Was Injured Or Killed In A Bus Accident, Who Is Responsible?
- How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit After A Truck Accident In Houston?
- How Does Maximum Medical Improvement Apply to My Injury Case?
- Does the At-Fault Party’s Insurance Pay Your Car Accident Damages in Texas?